Websites and apps for learning French online
These websites and mobiles apps will allow you to learn useful phrases and vocabulary in French for offering health care services:
• French as a Second Language for Health Care Sector Staff (Université Sainte-Anne)
• The Medi-Lexico apps are a series of five mobile apps, available for Android and iOS devices, which provide medical terminology in French and in English in five health care fields (nursing, occupational therapy and physiotherapy, dental care, radiology and respiratory therapy).
• The Med Interpret app is a quick and simple tool for finding French equivalents of medical terms and phrases commonly used in a medical context on your smartphone. The app assists physicians, nurses, techniciens, physiotherapists and other health care professionals in communicating with their French-speaking patients.
• The LexiGo app provides quick access to useful health care terms in French and English, which can be accessed without an internet connection on a smartphone or tablet (it is available for iPhone/iPad on the Apple App Store and on the Google Play Store for Android devices).
Publications for improving French-language services
Institutions and health care facilities can refer to the following publications that touch on various aspects of health care services in French to inform their planning processes:
• Improving Access to Health Services in French for Manitoba and Prince Edward Island Seniors
• Impact of language barriers on access to healthcare for official language minority Francophones in Canada
• Framework for Recruitment & Retention of Bilingual Human Resources in the Health Sector
• A Guide for Planning and Providing Francophone Long-term Care Services
• Access to health and interpreter-companion services: The experience of sparsely populated Francophone minority communities in Canada
• The Impact of Language Barriers on Patient Safety and Quality of Care